- CONFERENCE CENTRAL
- JENERAL STORE
- SUPPORT US
JENerations Jazz Festival Guidelines & Application
Jazz Ensemble Directors! Participate in the new JENerations Jazz Festival at the Annual Conference!
- Participants are accepted on a first-come first-served basis
- Multiple groups from the same school/organization are permitted (separate application for each ensemble required)
- No audio submission required
- Open to all age groups
JEN is pleased to announce the continuation of the JENerations Jazz Festival held in conjunction with the annual JEN Conference. Over 800 elementary, middle, junior high, high school, community and college musicians of all ages participate in this exciting weekend of jazz!
In addition to having access to all the incredible clinics and concerts associated with the JEN Conference, participating combos, big bands, and vocal jazz ensembles will perform for thirty minutes. Immediately following the performance, each ensemble will receive a thirty minute minute clinic session with world-class clinicians featuring many of today’s biggest names in jazz! The clinician roster in 2013 included:
- Ruben Alvarez
- Jay Ashby
- Jen Barnes
- Steve Bailey
- Wayne Bergeron
- Don Braden
- Ndugu Chancler
- Caleb Chapman
- John Clayton
- Jeff Coffin
- John Fedchock
- Lou Fischer
- Gordon Goodwin
- Dan Haerle
- Steve Houghton
- Christian Howes
- Javon Jackson
- Dave Liebman
- Connaitre Miller
- Bob Mintzer
- Michael Mossman
- Kim Nazarian
- Bobby Shew
- Bob Sinicrope
- Ray Smith
- Ed Soph
- Jim Widner
- Matt Wilson
- Greg Yasinitsky
This is an incredible opportunity for schools throughout the world to celebrate America’s true art form, rub shoulders with today’s hottest jazz talent in attendance at the conference, and have an educational experience they will never forget. Space is extremely limited, so reserve your spot today!
PARTICIPATION FEES (due and payable after accepted):
- Groups of 1-9 Members - $100
- Groups of 10+ - $175
- plus a $20 Participant Fee for EACH Ensemble member
- Fees will be collected once your group has been accepted to participate in accordance with the TIMELINE below
NOTE: The registration and participant fee includes a badge for each participating ensemble member plus the director, in addition to one chaperone per every five student participants. The badge provides FULL ACCESS to the entire JEN Conference. Schools/Community Organizations may apply to submit as many ensembles as they wish. However, a separate application must be completed for each ensemble. A $20 participation fee will be charged for each member of an ensemble. Participants who play in multiple ensembles from the same school/organization will be charged an additional $20 participation fee for each ensemble in which they perform. Additional chaperone badges beyond the allotment provided may be purchased for additional fees.
- February 1st - April 15th (midnight EDT): Applications will be taken online during this time period
- Applications will be reviewed and accepted as received
- April 15th - May 15th: Applicants will be notified Officially of acceptance by email
Applicants must confirm and accept the invitation to present or perform within 15 days of being notified officially of being accepted to participate in the festival component of the conference by making arrangements to pay the Ensemble & Individual Participation Fees by creating an Invoice for both fee categories online, which is necessary to hold your spot in the JJF lineup. Invoices are Payable by:
- Credit Card;
- Check; or
- School Purchase Order
Date of Acceptance through October 15th: Register all ensemble members for conference badges. A link to the JEN Registration Badge Portal will be provided at that time
- Anyone attending the conference is required to have a registration badge to move freely about the conference.
- All participants in your ensemble, yourself as Director, and your allotment of chaperones (1 per 5 student performers), as set by the JEN Board of Directors, will receive complimentary registration to attend the entire JEN Conference
Application Submission Limit:
- First-Come First-Served
- Ensembles will not be accepted that include an abundance of duplicate members
- Membership in JEN is required of the ensemble Director to submit an application to participate
- Presenting a clinic or performing does not prohibit you from applying to participate in the JENerations Jazz Festival
- Having performed last year does not prohibit you or your ensemble from participating again
- You may apply for more than one group
APPLICATION TYPES may include any style of music, including:
- Hard Bop
- Latin Jazz
- World Music
GUIDELINES FOR ADVANCE PREPARATION
REQUIRED INFORMATION to complete an application to the JEN JENerations Jazz Festival. NOTE: There are TWO PHASES to the application process.
- The PHASE ONE Application Form establishes your intent to apply.
- The PHASE ONE Application Form assigns you a permanent JEN Submission Identification (SID) number.
- The JEN Submission ID Number assigned to your PHASE ONE application form will be used throughout the application process to maintain accurate recording of your submission materials.
- If you are an agent applying for various clinicians, be advised you will need to submit a separate PHASE ONE Application Form to secure a JEN SID number for EACH individual. As a sponsor of artists, you are limited to 4 applications maximum.
- You will receive a follow-up email from The Jazz Education Network confirming receipt of your PHASE ONE Application Form.
You will be asked for the following information in Phase One:
- Contact Information
Commitment to attend and participate and to reserve lodging in the Official JEN Conference hotel
- Commuters within a 50 mile radius are exempt from the lodging requirement
- Ensemble Information
- Sponsor Information (if applicable)
- Web url (if applicable)
- Acceptance of Terms – As conference performer(s), you will be asked to agree to stay in the conference hotel unless you are commuting from home. NOTE: Once you are invited to participate and are ready to register your ensemble members for badges to attend, you will be asked to confirm your acceptance of the invitation and will be asked to provide a registration confirmation number from the conference hotel in order to verify you have complied with this important facet of the process. Compliance with this agreement ensures the organization remains financially stable, and allows JEN to reach the hotel imposed attrition rate related to the conference contract, which in turn provides JEN with the hotel event space to present the annual conference, thereby keeping the costs associated with conference production down.
- Acceptance of Terms – Expense to be borne by individuals or sponsoring institution
- Acknowledgement that membership as the Director will remain current at the time of the Conference
- Acceptance of Terms – Permission to use name and likeness in promotion of the event and for future conference and JEN events
- Note the Initial Submission ID Number from the Phase One application confirmation email is REQUIRED to complete this form.
- From the CONFERENCE CENTRAL Tab on the JEN Home Page, click on the JENerations Jazz Festival Tab.
- NOTE: Your application is not complete until the PHASE TWO Application Form has been completed which REQUIRES the Initial JEN Submission ID Number mentioned above.
Then click on the PHASE TWO Application Form link where you will be asked to upload specific support materials related to your particular application(s) in order to be reviewed by JEN.
- Upload a short description (max 50 words) related to your ensemble’s participation
- Designate any backline needs such as piano, guitar amp, bass amp, etc.
Upload a STAGE PLOT related to your ensemble
- Note: All rhythm section gear will remain as set on the JJF Clinic venue for EACH ensemble. Refer to the Performer/Clinician FAQ for further details
Completing the JEN Online Application Form is a requirement in order to be accepted to participate in the JENerations Jazz Festival at the Annual JEN Conference. Please be advised materials will not be accepted in any other form and/or after the deadline has passed.
It is recommended you print this page for reference as you prepare your materials for submission. All information requested must be included at the time of your application submission in order for the application to be processed within the JEN system.